What is an Interlibrary Loan?
If the K.O. Lee Aberdeen Public Library does not have the title (book, movie, music, etc.) you are looking for, it may be able to be borrowed from other libraries in the United States- interlibrary loan. Items are picked up at and returned to K.O. Lee Aberdeen Public Library. This is a free service with the exception of music CDs and special instances. Music CDs are $1 per filled request.
How to request an Interlibrary Loan through Library website:
- Go to the Public Library website: www.aberdeen.sd.us/library
- Click on Library Card Catalog the dark blue bar on the left side of the site. This will take you to: aberdeensd.polarislibrary.com
- Click on My Account and then Log In/Register.
- Enter your barcode (number on the back of your library card) and your password and click Log In.
- Begin searching for your item by entering a term(s) and click to choose Anywhere, Subject, Title, Author, or Series.
- Click Select Databases and check OCLC WorldCat Databases box.
- When results begin to show, click on Add Pending Results. This will bring in all the OCLC results.
- Look through the list until you find the result you want. The record should show OCLC WorldCat as its source. Click on Place Request.
- Click Submit Request. Then click on Continue.
- You will receive a verification message that your request has been placed.
Interlibrary Loan Rules
- A patron may not have more than 25 pending ILL requests and checked out ILL items at a time.
- Overdue fines for ILL items are $1 per day per item. When calculating the fine, we do not count days that the library is closed (e.g. federal holidays).
- Music CDs cost $1 per request. The money is payable at the time the patron checks out the CD.
- The supplying library controls the lending period for ILL items. We cannot control how long an ILL item may be checked out.
- Renewal requests are subject to approval by the supplying library. We cannot guarantee that an item will be renewed.
- Due to copyright laws, electronic books may not be requested via ILL, and entire books may not be photocopied or scanned.
- Due to copyright laws, whole magazine issues may not be requested, but individual articles from a magazine may be requested.
- The library reserves the right to limit or suspend ILL requests if ILL items are consistently returned late or ILL items that are ordered and not picked up.
- Because Interlibrary Loan is a labor-intensive service, we will only borrow items the library does not own. The library reserves the right to limit the number of requests made by an individual cardholder on the same item. Please be aware that each Interlibrary Loan costs the library in staff processing time, computer time, postage, and lending fees. Please use the privilege wisely.
- Possible alternatives to borrowing and lending include:
- The borrowing library purchases the item for its own collection instead of borrowing.
- The borrowing library makes use of available electronic and virtual resources.
- The lending library photocopies a section or an article if allowable by copyright.
- The borrowing library requests substitute editions when possible or appropriate.
- The patron may need to travel to the owning library to use the item if no other options are available.
If you have any questions, please call the K.O. Lee Aberdeen Public Library at 605-626-7097 or email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.